Lexington Regional Health Center’s Chief Nursing Officer, Nicole Thorell, received the Rural Nebraska Organization of Nurse Leaders Distinguished Nurse Leader Mentor Award. The vision of the American Organization of Nurse executives (AONE) is “to shape the future of health care through innovative and expert nursing leadership.”
“Nicole is very deserving of this recognition. She challenges all of us through her actions to be the best leaders we can be. Her success in retaining highly skilled, strong nurses who are committed to delivering compassionate, high-quality care speaks to her leadership and mentoring skills. The nurses that Nicole leads are thought leaders themselves. Education is promoted and under Nicole’s leadership the entire nursing division is centered on the coordinated care of the patients they serve,” said CEO, Leslie Marsh.
The award was based on the following five categories: Communication & Relationship-Building, Knowledge of the Health Care Environment, Leadership, Professionalism and Business Skills. Within the five categories the award recipient must display the following criteria:
- Promote and help others learn by networking with other colleagues within and outside of the profession of nursing.
- Encourage creativity, innovation, and think outside of the box when problem-solving.
- Inspire leadership and serve as a role model to others.
- Maintain high professional and ethical standards within his/her discipline and encourage others to strive for the same.
- Promote the nursing profession through committee involvement, taking on leadership roles and sharing knowledge via presentations at the local and/or regional level.
- Coach others to identify and leverage one’s own strengths as well as to set stretch goals to encourage ongoing growth and development.
Thorell contributes her award to the amazing team that she works with every day. “It is a blessing to be able to serve this community that has played a large role in the development of who I am as an individual. This award is a reflection of the amazing team I am blessed to work with at Lexington Regional Health Center. These are exceptional individuals who strive on a daily basis to advocate, promote, and improve on the remarkable care in our rural community,” Thorell said. “I am just grateful to play a small role in meeting the mission of LRHC alongside so many extraordinary individuals.”
Peggy Block, Nursing Administrative Assistant, commented, “I have watched Nicole grow into an outstanding leader. She started at LRHC as a CNA and then went back to school to become a RN. I remember Nicole saying that someday she would be the Chief Nursing Officer. She sets goals and achieves them.”
Back Row: Lacey Anderson, Brittany Hueftle, Kirstin Bailey, Jennifer Vigil, Rachel Peterson
Front Row: Hannah Hild, Nicole Thorell, CNO, Peggy Block